Emma Swallowed a Marble

Standard

Not for Toddlers!

When we made the move into missions, we had the Garage Sale of the Century.  My daughter Emma was 4 years old and it was the first time she had to face a sad parting with her toys.  The girl loves stuffed animals.  I had gone through all her toys and piled the rejects on the table in the garage.  When I wasn’t looking, Emma would sneak toys back into the house.  I caught her in the hallway with an arm full of stuffed animals.  “They can’t go in the sale!” she protested, “They have families!”  I had unknowingly been a home wrecker and had split up several doll families.

Other toys on the garage sale table included gifts that had been age-INappropriate at the time that they were received.  A few years back someone had given Emma one of those sets of magnets and metal marbles that you are supposed to use to make sculptures or tinker-toy shapes.  Clearly this was a “choke-able” for a toddler, so the whole thing had been tossed into a basket and stored out of reach.  Emma had long ago forgotten about this dangerous toy… until she saw it on the garage sale table.

To distract Emma from the stuffed animal table, I put a movie on for her in the living room.  Every few minutes I would peek in the door to make sure all was OK.  But the garage sale started to get busy and I forgot about Emma.  Suddenly I heard the phone ring in the house.  Leaving Josh to man the sale I ran in, breezing past Emma standing in the living room, to the kitchen.  Suddenly Emma started shrieking, “I’m dying!!  I’m dying!!”  (Remember, she’s the dramatic one.)

Dropping the phone I ran into the living room and found her standing there with a hand full of slobbery, metal balls from the forbidden magnet toy.  Somehow she had found the toy on the table, collected all the balls, and popped them ALL in her mouth.  When I went running through the living room I had scared her and she had swallowed one of the marbles!!  Clearly because she could speak I knew she wasn’t choking, but she said she could still feel it in her throat.  I called 911 and asked what I should do.  They said call her doctor.  I called her doctor.  They said, “Stupid woman!  Take her to the ER!”  Maybe not in those exact words.  So we shut down the garage sale and drove Emma to the ER.  Fortunately I had the sense to bring along another marble to show the doctors what she had swallowed.

They measured the marble, they made her drink barium, they took several X-rays, they consulted and talked, we waited.  Finally the conclusion was that the marble appeared to be moving smoothly through her system so we were out of danger.  They told me that it would “pass” in a week or so.  I should check her stool to make sure that it didn’t get lodged in her appendix.  Come back if she runs a fever.  Now all you moms out there know, I did NOT check her stool.  Maybe if I had a metal detector on hand I would have made a pass over the toilet, but there was no way I was going to be digging through THAT!  She never ran a fever, so I figured we were out of the woods.  Don’t judge until you’ve been there.

About amamiot

My family and I are missionaries in Costa Rica. Before that we lived in Mexico and before that we came from Minnesota. I am a teacher, an artist, a "journaler", a quilter, a cooker, a baker, a hostess, a mom, a wife, a daughter, a sister, a friend. I like reading and watching movies (ehem, and quoting movie lines). I would love to be in a Jane Austin movie but I don't know how to ballroom dance or play Whist.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s